Re: The "purpose of the IETF" thing

> I think the "high quality, relevant standards for the Internet"
> is a fine capsule description of *one* thing we do. But we do
> other things (operational discussions, experimentation, community
> building) that should not be regarded as secondary.

those are HOW we do it

> Another point on mission statement I heard from someone

me for one

> The chief benefit of the mission statement exercise is often not
> to the people reading the mission statement - it's on the people
> who help develop it.... because they are forced to think about
> it......

not only that, but the exercise is a bonding and team building
thing.

> How do we maximize that benefit?

i am not sure we can do it en masse.  which is why companies have
senior manglement team retreats.

it is then the senior management team's LEADERSHIP task to project
the vision, mission, and strategies to the organization.

randy