The "purpose of the IETF" thing

I think the "high quality, relevant standards for the Internet" is a fine capsule description of *one* thing we do. But we do other things (operational discussions, experimentation, community building) that should not be regarded as secondary.

That's the other reason (apart from not figuring out how to socialize the definition) that I haven't pushed as hard as I could on making this concept "public" since London.

Another point on mission statement I heard from someone: The chief benefit of the mission statement exercise is often not to the people reading the mission statement - it's on the people who help develop it.... because they are forced to think about it......

How do we maximize that benefit?

Harald