Re: CAPWAP BOF follow up: nmrg - CAPWAP

as usual, i am hearing both sides of the song.  many folk are
indeed saying "reinventing the wheel."  many others are saying
"but this is different."  and 802.11 is pushing it.  so i asked
bert to post this to iesg and iab so we can have a consensus
before we move in either direction.
I do not believe that CAPWAP is "reinventing the wheel." There is today no protocol appropriate for control of a "lightweight AP" device, so at least that much is new.

That said, there is disagreement about whether the protocol proposals discussed in CAPWAP are appropriate to the problem.

I attended the IEEE 802 plenary this week, and got feedback from quite a few 802.11 vendors relating to CAPWAP. I've asked them to forward their feedback directly. Several expressed the concern that the protocol and approach proposed is inappropriate for a "lightweight" device. I heard this from vendors on both sides of the "lightweight AP" issue, including both startups and well established players, so I don't think it's just axe grinding. Several vendors mentioned that they will be advocating that IEEE 802 start its own competing standards effort in order to produce a more appropriate design.

Given the level of debate within IEEE 802, we probably should not assume that Dorothy Stanley, the IEEE 802.11 Liason to IETF, is speaking for IEEE 802.11 relating to CAPWAP.