Re: What do we want to achieve from reorganizing our functions?

--On 25. juli 2003 08:45 -0700 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

  - Separating document review from WG management, so that both
    roles can be strengthened
could you expand on the difference between these two?  in theory,
the only classic management we do is hire and fire of chairs.  or
do you also mean process, i.e,, document management?  but that
latter is rather intimately tied to document review and is, we
hope, being automated away as a task set.
if that's the theory, we've departed very far from it.
the ADs have placed themselves in a central role wrt writing the charter, interpreting the charter, guiding WG chairs, admonishing WG chairs, making WG chairs talk to other WG chairs, recruiting and encouraging outside experts, reminding WGs of IETF-wide concerns, and hiring and firing WG chairs. That's what I think of as "WG management".

the document review is what we do after the documents leave the WG.

  - Separating a "direction-setting function" (management?) from a
    "day-to-day followup" (executive?)
direction setting is part of 'leadership'
day to day follow-up is part of 'management'
terminology (ouch).

  - Separating the "business management" aspects of
    from "technology management".
indeed, the formal relationships, contracts, etc. with rfced, iana,
secretariat, ...  should all be pretty cut and dried business
stuff.
there's a big SHOULD in there. it ain't true now, and I'm not sure it will be any time soon.

Not all of these need to result in distinct entities. And it's very
important to keep the ability to have an unity of purpose within the
leadership - if we create distinct entities that pull in different
directions, we lose something important.
yep!

I've got some ideas on how we can get there - but I'd like to
float this one by the IESG first to see what other people think.
i am trying to think.  i hope i am not getting in the way.

as long as we share......