Re: What do we want to achieve from reorganizing our functions?

>>> - Separating document review from WG management, so that
>>>   both roles can be strengthened
>> could you expand on the difference between these two?  in
>> theory, the only classic management we do is hire and fire of
>> chairs.
> wg chairs are responsible for managing the workflow that
> produces documents in their wgs.  wg chairs sometimes need help,
> consultation, guidance, backing.  providing these things to wg
> chairs is a management task for the responsible ad, yes?

let's face it.  except for wg charters and hiring and firing of wg
chairs, it's documents all the way down.  and the reason the wg
chairs come to the iesg for support is that, unlike the iesg, they
do not formally have a strong hand in demanding needed changes in
a document.

unlike a real company, the wg chairs and the iesg do not inherit
authority from a top down hierarchy.  it is a bottom-up trust.
this is why crocker's instincts are to rabble-rouse, to break that
trust.

and the iesg really can not go too far against the current social
belief system.  look at the wgs we create and the documents we
pass while holding our noses.  yes, there may be proportionally
fewer the last few years, but it is still a regular semi-weekly
occurrence.

but, it's really all about the documents.  they are our end
product.  the rest is how we get there.

randy