Re: What do we want to achieve from reorganizing our functions?

> I agree with Randy's terminology -- leadership and management.
> These could also be characterized by strategic decision making vs.
> tactical/logistical decision making.

leadership is not decision making.  it is developing and projecting
the vision and plan so that the whole organization can see them and
feel good about pursuing them.  and it is about maintaining and
adjusting the vision on a day to day basis so that the organization
perceives the plan and the organization as adaptable and alive and
so that people want to be part of moving the vision forward.

management is about decision making and implementing decisions,
control, ...

leadership includes mentoring up-coming leaders and managers.

magic is about turning managers into leaders.

due to the ietf's lack of real hierarchic power descending from
stockholders or whatever, a larger component of leadership than we
are used to in the corporate environment, and a smaller one of
management, is probably appropriate.

randy

---

    "Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success;
    leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the
    right wall."

    -- stephen covey

---

    You can quickly grasp the important difference between the two
    (management and leadership) if you envision a group of
    producers cutting their way through the jungle with machetes.
    They're the producers, the problem solvers.  They're cutting
    through the undergrowth, clearing it out.  The managers are
    behind them, sharpening their machetes, writing policy and
    procedure manuals, holding muscle development programs,
    bringing in improved technologies and setting up working
    schedules and compensation programs for machete wielders.

    The leader is the one who climbs the tallest tree, surveys the
    entire situation, and yells, 'Wrong Jungle!'

    But how do the busy, efficient producers and managers often
    respond?  'Shut up!  We're making progress.'"

    -- unknown

-30-