Re: What do we want to achieve from reorganizing our functions?

At 11:03 AM 7/26/2003 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> I agree with Randy's terminology -- leadership and management.
> These could also be characterized by strategic decision making vs.
> tactical/logistical decision making.

leadership is not decision making.  it is developing and projecting
the vision and plan so that the whole organization can see them and
feel good about pursuing them.  and it is about maintaining and
adjusting the vision on a day to day basis so that the organization
perceives the plan and the organization as adaptable and alive and
so that people want to be part of moving the vision forward.
Okay...  I'll accept that definition.  I think that this is a
pretty cool way of thinking about it...

Leadership and management aren't things that have been separated
in most jobs I've had.  They are more separate in Wind River
engineering than anywhere else I've worked (where I am currently
expected to be our top technical leader, but not a manager), and
so far this has been a challenge for me...  I've always found, in
the past, that the authorities/responsibilities of leadership and
management were a good compliment for each other.

management is about decision making and implementing decisions,
control, ...

leadership includes mentoring up-coming leaders and managers.
I think of this as part of management, but I can live with
classifying it as leadership -- doing it well takes both, I
think.

magic is about turning managers into leaders.
:-)

due to the ietf's lack of real hierarchic power descending from
stockholders or whatever, a larger component of leadership than we
are used to in the corporate environment, and a smaller one of
management, is probably appropriate.
I agree, but we still do need the appropriate amount of both.
Do you think we have enough of either right now?

    But how do the busy, efficient producers and managers often
    respond?  'Shut up!  We're making progress.'"
Hey, I recognize that jungle! :-)

Margaret

    -- unknown

-30-