Re: What do we want to achieve from reorganizing our functions?

--On 26. juli 2003 13:22 -0400 Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com> wrote:

The IETF runs extensively on a concept called "two-in-a-box" --
where two people are jointly responsible for most functions.
This has some benefits, but it actually takes considerably more
combined work than having a function run by one person (because
of the need for the two to communicate), and things happen
slower.
two reasons for doing this is because single-person functions have led to single-person "empires" (Marshall Rose and the NM area was the most blatant example; John Moy has been accused of the same thing wrt OSPF; he's now got 2 co-chairs, but still gets accused of it), and because we've had numerous instances of chairs dropping out on relatively short notice (or with no notice).

This gets even worse when there are 3 or 4 people responsible
for day-to-day management of a function.  And the idea of
having more than 4 people responsible for managing anything is
almost completely unworkable.
if you have more than 2 people, is it required to designate a "lead" among them? This frequently happens in practice, even when they are formally equals.... I am not sure of the value of formalizing it.