Re: CAPWAP BOF follow up: nmrg - CAPWAP

from day zero, i and a few others kept saying that the proxies
were gonna be deadly to the aaa work.  but we could not get folk
to let go of them.  as an ietf management issue, what can an area
director do in such circumstances?  the only real controls i had
were my silver tongue, which failed, and/or shutting the wg, which
would have seemed draconian.
The bottom line was that the WG did not care about security, and therefore treated the required security measures (e.g. Diameter CMS) necessary to make proxies safe largely as measures designed to satisfy the IESG, rather than a real cost. Once forced to either take the security requirements imposed by proxies seriously or abandon proxies, the WG chose to abandon proxies. However, that was 3+ years and many hundreds of man years later -- and the protocol had gained huge amounts of (largely unnecessary) complexity in the process.

I think this underlines the need to make requirements documents more than just a wish list -- there is a real price to be paid for each requirement added to the list. If people had had a good idea of the additional cost of each requirement, and were forced to deal with the tradeoffs in terms of device cost and WG schedule, maybe they might not have chosen to add it to the basket. I think there's a need to force WGs down to a level of detail where those tradeoffs can be understood.