RE: CAPWAP BOF follow up: nmrg - CAPWAP

W.r.t.

> Having seen this happen with service discovery, I couldn't agree more. Part
> of the concern is that some of the configuration and control functions are
> dynamic and there is some concern that SNMP might have a problem with that.

Can you explain?

> Also, I've heard there is some security problem with MIPs that have writable
> variables, and so most vendors turn them off.

SNMPv3 has proper security, and if DES is not good enuf, then AES security
is under IESG revision right now.

> That said, SNMP  might be a solution, and it was mentioned in a presentation
> at the BOF.
>
> > Hope this helps/clarifies
>
> Yes, thanx. Any advice you might have on what we should be saying to the
> list would help. It seems like, despite my desire to detach from this
> effort, I'm ending up its godfather. :-)

I'd say we need to understand better what the exact problem is to
be fixed and what the "vision" or "roadmap (in Randy's words) is on
how we think we can fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time
in such a way that the community buys into it and implements.

Bert