Re: CAPWAP BOF follow up: nmrg - CAPWAP

> W.r.t.
> >
> > Having seen this happen with service discovery, I couldn't agree more.
Part
> > of the concern is that some of the configuration and control functions
are
> > dynamic and there is some concern that SNMP might have a problem with
that.

> Can you explain?

I'm probably the wrong person to articulate this, but the opinion has been
expressed that SNMP is too complex, and most vendor's implementations don't
have the necessary structure and performance for the proposed application.
The belief is that the necessary dynamic control functions need to be
tightly integrated with the data management functions. I'd suggest you post
your question to the list if you want a more coherent explanation.

> > Also, I've heard there is some security problem with MIPs that have
writable
> > variables, and so most vendors turn them off.
>
> SNMPv3 has proper security, and if DES is not good enuf, then AES security
> is under IESG revision right now.

I believe DES was the issue.

> I'd say we need to understand better what the exact problem is to
> be fixed and what the "vision" or "roadmap (in Randy's words) is on
> how we think we can fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time
> in such a way that the community buys into it and implements.

OK.

            jak