Re: need jabber help

In message <200308041400.h74E0kJG023578@rotala.raleigh.ibm.com>, Thomas Narten
writes:
>I (and mrw) want to install/run jabber for IESG stuff. Can someone
>help get started?
>
>I.e., presumably one needs:
>
>- accounts and a server (is randy running the one everyone are using?)

Create your own account, via jabber, at psg.com.  I don't remember
exactly how to, but it was easy.

>- client software (needed for Redhat 7.1 or 8.0, and windows 2k and/or XP)

Look for 'gabber' for Linux.  It's the first hit on google.  Make sure
you enable ssl in the conection box.

No idea what works well for Windows.

>Although the topic has come up before, I can't (now) seem to find
>pointers to the recommended clients, etc. Can someone help me get
>started?
>
>Also, what (if any) issues are there with running through NAT and/or
>firewalls? (Not sure just what the firewall at work blocks -- outgoing
>tcp seems to generally be fine).

It can use an http or socks proxy; other than that, it's just a single
outgoing tcp connection to 5222 (plaintext) or 5223 (ssl).