Re: Fwd: Handle System RFC Note

Bob,
First, no one need have 30 years of experience in the
Internet industry to question a decision of the IESG; anyone can
do it at any time (and many do!). The decision taken by the IESG to ask you
to insert an IESG message to the handle drafts was done under the
auspices of 2026, section 4.2.3, and like any other decision under
the auspices of 2026, it is subject to appeal. If you or Bob Kahn
would like to appeal the decision, then you can, but since this
is a decision of the IESG at this point, I don't think I personally
have the right or ability to reverse it. Note that I have cc'ed
the IESG on this response in order to allow others to make any
other points.
Second, if Bob Kahn or anyone else makes a technical
contribution to the IETF process, I do my utmost to hear their
points. Since I started working to move these documents forward,
Bob made no technical contributions to the process prior to the
IESG's decision. I worked with the authors, and got agreement from
them; since authors represent themselves as individuals in the IETF process,
I believed and continue to believe that this is appropriate. I understand
from the email below that Bob had a negative reaction to the wording
the authors agreed to. The email I saw is not a technical contribution
related to the work, but a statement about his reaction to the IETF note.
If there have been technical contributions, I have not seen them. Obviously,
no one can take into account technical points which are not made to them.
Third, you have asked, in essence, why this work is "something that
conflicts with, or is actually inimical to, an established IETF effort".
Possibly our effort to make the IESG note polite and acceptable to
the authors has taken to much of the conflict out of the picture.
If so, I regret the lack of clarity, but this work is clearly in conflict
with established IETF efforts. The only oddity here is that it has
been in conflict with the established IETF efforts so long that the
working groups involved have concluded their work and shut down.
This was work extensively discussed in the IETF, including in
the URI and URN working groups; the experience there was that the
working groups' efforts to bring the handle system into the larger
system resulted in changes in the working group documents but
no movement on the part of the document authors. As it stands
now, the documents represent the view of a "loyal opposition" and
contain views of how resolution and identifiers should or could work
on the Internet that are clearly not the consensus view; as such, I personally
believe that they should be published, but only if clearly flagged to
indicate to the reader that the views contained do not represent how
the rest of the IETF understands these issues. In other words, don't
expect this to work on the big I Internet; it works only in the context
of the handle system as defined by CNRI and will not be integrated into
any of the other systems which use or depend on URIs, URNs, LDAP
identifiers, or DNS names. This is not something that can be clarified
in the IETF documents, since those documents are complete and the
working groups closed, so it must be included here. Without that, I
would have recommended that these documents not be published at all.
Fourth, my use of the term "war of attrition" was meant to
be evocative rather than exact, but I stand by it. In my discussions
with the authors, it has been clear that they are not working in the context
of the larger community to develop whatever system would be best for the
Internet, but are focused on the advancement of their system. One of
the tactics here has clearly been simply to outlast the objections and to demand
that the same points be explained to them over and over, in the hope that
the individual involved will give up and accede. Having held on until the
working groups were closed and then exhausted this tactic in the IESG, it
appears that they are now taking it up again with the RFC Editor. I have
personally now generated more than four thousand lines of prose on this
topic. That's far more than it is worth, to be honest, but the result of this
should not be that they succeed in putting forth their views of the relationship
of their work to other systems of identifiers without appropriate marking
that the community has considered their points and disagreed.
regards,
Ted Hardie