Re: IAB comments on draft-baker-liaisons-00.txt - Need for otherthan IDs

Scott & Leslie,
Clearly we need to go one by one or we will get hopelessly entangled
in an ever growing mess of comments and discussion. I'll add what I
think this issue for this email is to the subject line so we can keep
them straight.

A couple of extra thoughts on why IDs can't be the only thing:
If another SDO wishes something to be standardized in IETF, certainly
they should send it in as an ID. Nobody gets a free pass to not follow
the process to produce standards in the IETF.

But while this may be one purpose of a liaison statement from another
organization, I think that there are many other purposes which are not
served well by this model. Two obvious cases are:
- Another SDO wishes to solicit comments or reaction from the IETF on
  a standard they are developing. I think that in IETF we would like to
  participate in the larger community of global standardization bodies,
  but to require that another organization convert their documents to
  ASCII with stick figure diagrams before we will look at it and offer
  comments (pdf or html, fine, but not ASCII) will only serve to obstruct
  this kind of valuable communication. If we make it too difficult for
  another organization to solicit comments from IETF on their documents,
  they won't do it.
- IDs are not a satisfactory interface for communication in the direction
  from IETF to another SDO, either in the case of a reply or in the case
  of a spontaneously generated communication from IETF. For an individual,
  they can submit an ID and see how others react to it on the email list
  to know how well it is received. But it is not such a practical interface
  to expect another SDO to watch the IETF email list to know what the
  reaction was to something they sent to IETF. For most SDOs, it could
  hardly be considered any kind of official input to their process to
  extract something from another organization's email list. And even if
  it were, do we in IETF want the other SDO to make their own judgement
  about what the IETF consensus response was by watching the email list?
  I would think that we would rather make the judgement about what the
  consensus is within IETF and tell the other SDO (officially) what our
  judgement was. Internally, we expect WG chairs and ADs to judge consensus
  out of a mass of contradictory emails for internal decisions - we do
  not think it should be different for anything requiring an external
  response.

Regards,
Steve