Re: flag day for draft-ietf-dnsext-delegation-signer?

At Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:52:34 -0700, Ted Hardie wrote:

> draft-ietf-dnsext-delegation-signer notes that it is not
> backwards compatible with the existing DNSSEC infrastructure
> and will require a flag day.  Are we actually expecting to
> set a date for this flag day, or is this just another way
> of saying "not compatible"?  If so, does this date get set
> by DNSEXT, DNSOP, or someone else?

where's the beer transfer protocol when we need it?

see draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-2535typecode-change to understand the
form that the flag day is likely to take.  in brief: if we got this
right, old (rfc2535) implementations and new (dnssecbis)
implementations will ignore each other.

i'll leave it to thomas to decide whether to forward the conversation
that he and i had on normative references between these two docs.