Re: apnic - second day better

--On 20. august 2003 18:13 +0900 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

  o ripe-261 was presented and pushed, which asks iana to allocate
    /8s to an rir for them to then allocate using the binary chop
    algorithm.  some discussion and confusion after i pointed out
    that this is 1/32 of the fp=1 space per rir allocation.
this is the "we don't know how to run a global binary-chop, so let's do it on our own" thing. but 1/32 is still < 1/1, so there are now 28 chances for IANA to reevaluate the policy without taking anything back, rather than 0.
right?

  o proposal to regulate transfer of historical address space which
    would strongly encourage, but not mandate, the recipient be an
    apnic member, i.e. incur annual costs etc.  this is likely a
    trial ballon for a change which will be across all registries.
and impacts the possibility of the RIRs signing for addressblock/AS-number linkages, which impacts the deployability of S*BGP.