RE: Taking a DEFER on a ballot

Randy comments:

> > 3. An AD who does not vote at all (either online, by email
> >    or at the telechat) cannot request a DEFER at the next
> >    (i.e. 2nd) telechat.
>
> i believe the reverse is true.  you can only take a defer if
> you have not expressed an opinion.  after all, how would you
> have an opinion if you needed to defer in order to read the
> document?

That is true, but you SHOULD take the DEFER at the first telechat
where the doc is on the agenda. After that, you cannot take a
DEFER anymore. I think we do not want something aka:

telechat x:    Thomas takes a DEFER, Bert and Randy are on vacation
telechat x+1:  Thomas musrt give up his DEFER, Randy now takes a DEFER
               Bert is now ill and so is still not present
telechat x+2:  Bert takes a DEFER

That is, item 3. is intended to say... any DEFERs MUST be taken
only at the first telechat where a doc conmes on the agenda.
Not on later telechats where the same doc comes back.

> > 4. One or more DEFERs on a document will cause the document
> >    to automatically show up on the next telechat agenda,
>
> if no other events which might cause its withdrawal have occurred

Of course... that can always happen

> > 6. In very special cases, the IETF chair can grant a DEFER
> >    for a second telechat cycle.
>
> i was not aware of this

Look at: https://www.ietf.org/IESG/internal/voting-procedures.txt
I had included that ptr in previous posting also I believe.

Bert