Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-carroll-dynmobileip-cdma-00.txt

At 01:36 PM 9/2/2003 -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
Frank Quick <fquick@qualcomm.com> writes:

> Thanks for the pointer to the new draft.  Its language is a lot clearer
> than the current wording.

> Since our draft is not based on any other standards document, we may be
> able to agree to use the first of the statements without requiring heavy
> legal review, provided that it is clear that saying "all provisions of
> Section 10" does not inadvertently incorporate the provisions that relate
> to standards-track RFCs only.  (I.e., for an Informational RFC 10.3.2 does
> not apply.)  Is that interpretation correct?

I'm hesitant to give such an opinion, as the issues with regards to
copyright, IPR may be interpreted differently by different folks, and
how they interpret the specific words in the relevant RFCs.

Having said that, I _think_ that you shouldn't have any issues, so
long as you disclose any IPR associated with the ID, which you seem to
be willing to do, as there already is a section in the document that
talks about IPR that has been applied for.

I guess we had better run it by the lawyers, hopefully there will not be a problem. If this email to Chris bounces, I'll call him tomorrow.

Also, am I  correct in assuming that this is a Verizon-specific
document? That is:

  - does this describe something that has already been deployed? If
    so, by whom and how widely?

  - Is this something that is Verizon-specific? Are other operators
    using it (or planning on using it)? If Verizon-specific, it would
    be customary to change the title to make this more clear.

If we can ever get email to Chris, he would be better able to respond. However, my take on the situation is: This was developed by VZW with some inputs from Qualcomm and others. Maybe it'd be ok to say that there are plans to deploy it fairly soon, and there is an interest in having the protocol be available for other vendors and carriers.

Finally, this document seems to be of interest to folk in the Mobile
IP WGs. For example, the chairs have (or want) to review it and have
some questions comments on it. How interested are you in having the
document reviewed, e.g., in the mip4 WG? How willing would you to
update the document in response to commments? E.g., is this work
already finished and is there (in practice) no desire to update the
document, or would reviews be taken into consideration for a possible
revision?

Again, Chris may have another opinion, but my belief is that the protocol should be published as is for compatibility with equipment planned for deployment under this version.

Note: the comments I've seen have been generally positive and think
this is probably useful to publish, but its also generating a
discussion as to whether this is sufficient and/or whether followup
work woudl also be warranted...

Further work could certainly be entertained as leading to a new RFC or even Internet Standard if there is sufficient interest; but I see that as a follow-on that should not delay publication of this RFC.

Thomas

Frank Quick
office   +1-858-658-3608 fax +1-858-651-1940
portable +1-619-890-5749
paging   fquick@pager.qualcomm.com
RSA: 29EA D619 31F2 B4D3  8815 3D59 4340 FA43
D-H: 2A24 131C D38F 12E6 4D6A  46EE 8BBF B50A 754E F63D