Re: WG Review: Mobility for IPv6 (mip6)

hi all,

The IESG wrote:

2) Features such as renumbering of the home link, home agent discovery,
      Route Optimization, which are currently a part of the base
      specification can be specified more explicitly as separate
      specifications. This will also enable modularizing the Mobile
      IPv6 specification further into the minimal subset and add-on
      features. Some of these specifications will be identified as
      base mechanisims of Mobile IPv6.

I dont see how the above paragraph has anything to do with the primary goal of the WG.

The primary goal of the MIP6 working group is to improve the base
specification as a result of experience gained from implementation and
interop testing and to work on items that are deemed critical to getting
MIPv6 deployable on a large scale.

specifically, the current MIPv6 spec (in the RFC editor queue) is well understod and there are atleast two interoperable implementations of every feature in the spec. what is the primary motivation for including splitting the spec among the WG goals? infact it will just waste the WG time, time better spent on solving any issues related to deployment that might arise. moreoever, it doesnt inspire a lot of confidence among people who are planning to deploy based on the current spec.

IMHO, you should remove (2). goal (1) already says

1) Refining the base specifications based on experience of initial
      implementations and interoperability testing.

and that is more than enough. if we see a need to split the spec later, we can add the work to the charter, but I dont see that as the primary goal driving the formation of this new WG.

this WG will focus on issues
for which there is strong consensus that the work is needed to get
basic mobility deployable on a large scale.

I agree completely with this. and we should stick to this.

Vijay