Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-gpaterno-wireless-pppoe-11.txt

The author has requested that this document be published as an
informational document. I asked some knowledgable folk what they
thought of this document; their comments are below.

Question for the author: what is your motivation for publishing this
document? Do you have plans for doing any follow-up work in this
space?

Thomas

James Carlson <james.d.carlson@sun.com> writes:

> I vote "no" for publication as an RFC.  To be frank, I can't tell what
> this document intends to be.  It doesn't actually describe any
> particular new or changed protocol, nor any particularly interoperable
> solution to a known problem, nor does it analyze the security issues
> of its recommendations in sufficient detail.

> If this document described some vendor-proprietary material that was
> already shipped (e.g., the case with PPPoE) and somewhat entrenched,
> then the value of publishing something to describe it, even when it's
> clearly at odds with established IETF efforts, might possibly outweigh
> the desire to avoid such confusion.  I don't see that such a thing is
> true here.

> Moreover, what value would this document bring?  Clearly, if someone
> wanted to deploy PPPoE over 802.11, he could do so _today_.  No new
> IETF would be necessary.  The components to do this all exist today in
> many implementations.

Thomas