Re: RFC Errata Delinquents

Bob,

some thoughts here, none of which may be directly helpful:

- in order to make those calls for verification, you seem to need to maintain an updated address archive for authors. Do you in fact maintain such an archive? If so, how do you get updates?

- for "Status: UNKNOWN" RFCs like 724, it seems appropriate to ask the authors to comment on the technical validity of the errata. But for a Draft Standard like RFC 2046, it seems to me that if the errata actually introduces technical change, it needs community verification, not just author verification. Who defines (or should define) the procedure for RFC Errata vetting, and where is it documented?

- in the interest of the errata mechanism remaining lightweight, I might suggest something like saying "if the author cannot be contacted, the errata will be verified with at least one expert in the field of the RFC in question, and will be posted with a note saying 'Note - not verified with authors'" after a timeout on the author request.

More discussion may be in order....