Re: Internal WG Review: MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)

Would this approach of:

1. Not delaying further testing of MIPSHOP protocols by proceeding with the current
charter that specifically targets EXPERIMENTAL protocols,
2. Clarifying in those EXPERIMENTAL protocols the currently known
shortcomings (including, of course, those related to security)
3. and, Including the corresponding security focus in the related
IRTF RG,

be acceptable?

[Notice, that if #3 produces good output, this could become the feedback needed in order to advance the EXPERIMENTAL protocols to PS, but that would require rechartering, so is not the charter we're reviewing right now.]

I would suggest trying to outline the security issues in the MIPSHOP drafts and using this as input to the IRTF WG chartered in #3.

I'd also note that there is apparently more than one IRTF WG proposal in this area; Bill Arbaugh is also proposing formation of an IRTF WG. Given that IEEE 802 has recently started up two new study groups on Handoff (Handoff ECSG and the new Fast Handoff Study Group), I'm becoming concerned about the proliferation of Research and Study Group efforts in this area.

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general