RE: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

Actually, for point of reference, here's what I had sent to the list before I posted my comments here.  This person has still continued with the ranting and I was using this list as a sounding board before I got really tough.  I know now what I need to do and the advice was helpful.  Thanks!

My note re: nastygrams on the list (names removed to protect the guilty....)

"Actually, Mr. xxxxx, the chair (me) is really waiting to see when people will get back to the issue at hand - getting CAP out the door.  I am also waiting for people to get back to being adults.  Occasionally, the chair has to step in and suggest we keep things aboveboard.  It that is chastisment, then so be it.

Blasts of emails between two or three people is not the answer.  Making offensive comments about people also is not the answer, nor appropriate.  There is no one person at fault.  There are many, including myself for not getting into the middle of some of these discussions and saying - stop the noise and get productive.

However, that's not the way the IETF works.  The chair is there to call concensus, keep people cool, and push drafts.  We are not supposed to interfere or persuade people to move in any particular direction.  Therefore, I take great pains to not interfere with dialog..  However, I have to interfere when people write things that are abusive.  It is appropriate for the chair to step in when things get out of hand and when trying to reach concensus. It is also the responsibility of the chair to step in and say there may be an issue.  I know XXXXX- and he does not lie.  He gets "enthusiastic" with his replies.   (snip ...some irrelevant text...)  And when someone starts making comments like "you lie" on the list, then I have to step in and say "foul, below the belt, keep it nice."

So, that being said, can we please move on and get this done.  And again, name calling and mud slinging will not be condoned on the list. "

Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>
Sent by: owner-wgchairs@ietf.org

09/15/2003 12:31

wgchairs@ietf.org
cc
Subject
RE: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

I  would agree with Avri.

Note  that saying some statement is a "lie" is quite different from merely saying it  is "wrong" or "inconsistent" ...  In particular, calling it a lie is an  attack on the person by making the assertion about their internal mental state:  that they are deliberately making a statement knowing it to be wrong. I would  think you should contact the accuser privately and ask them to retract such  statements they have made and cease making them in the future. If they refuse to  do so then you could bar them on that basis.

(Of  course, it is hard to have a general policy that always applies. For example,  presumably there is a vanishingly small probability that the person being  disruptive actually has some proof, like a videotape of the person they are  attacking in which that person says they are going to engage in a campaign of  lies. But even if that were true, the accuser isn't going about things the right  way and should, in the least disruptive way practical, be requesting some  action against the purported liar.)

Donald