Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ieprep-ets-telephony - IP Telephony Requirements for Emergency Telecommunication Service

Thanks Ned!

--On 14. september 2003 11:54 -0700 ned.freed@mrochek.com wrote:

For an output of IEPREP, this document is mercifully short, and seems
almost to make sense.
But I can't figure out what on Earth this is supposed to mean:

>     4) Application layer IP telephony capabilities MUST NOT
>     preclude the ability to do application layer accounting.

It seems to me like a total Martian in this document. Can someone
explain?

Reading the companion general requirements doc, I think the logic is:

(1) These schemes are clearly able to be abused.

(2) Authorization can a useful tool in making these schemes harder to
abuse.

(3) Accounting can be a useful tool in tracking down abuse after it has
    occurred.

As such, systems implementing these schemes should take support
authorization and shouldn't be designed in ways that make accounting
impossible. But the current text doesn't make this reasoning clear.
Either some additional text is needed or there needs to be a pointer to
the discussion of these issues in draft-ietf-ieprep-ets-general-04.txt.

the text I found in ets-general (section 4) was this:

1) Accounting

       Accounting represents a method of tracking actual usage of a
       service.  We assume that the usage of any service better than
       best effort will be tracked and subsequently billed to the user.
       Accounting is not addressed as a general requirement for ETS.
       However, solutions used to realize ETS should not preclude an
       accounting mechanism.

Not exactly brilliantly clear, but clearer.

saying something like "If the application layer IP telephony capabilities offer accounting, using the ETS services MUST NOT stop accounting from working" - kind of looks clearer.
Any particular reason for upgrading from "should not preclude" in -general
to "MUST NOT preclude" in ets-telephony?

Harald