Re: [Rps] Re: Last Call: 'RPSLng' to Proposed Standard

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309160816080.5651-100000@netcore.fi>, Pekka Savola w
> rites:
> >
> > Did you even read what I wrote?  I certainly didn't see a problem in
> > having different IPv6 and IPv4 records, because, well, they have to be
> > different anyway.  I believe I gave a couple of points to consider as
> > well.
>
> If you have no issue with separate IPv6 and IPv4 records then the
> matter is resolved.  There is no transition problem, nor is there any
> long term problem other than separate IPv6 and IPv4 records which may
> be a nuisance later at worst.

I recall that RPSLng also supports ipv4.unicast (which is supported by
RPSL as well), and ipv4.multicast.  The issue is clearly not settled by
that, I think,

> > > RIPE uses its database mostly as a Internet address and AS registry.
> > > That you can express policy in RPSL for RIPE is just an added benefit
> > > for their customers.  RIPE has had IPv6 inetnum records for a very
> > > long time for the purpose of address registry.
> >
> > This is irrelevant: the fact stands that at least in the RIPE region (I
> > don't know much of the others, but I guess the situation is pretty much
> > the same), RPSLng has *not* been deployed at all.  So, it seems to me that
> > any statements of its wide use are quite questionable.
>
> A lot of RPSL use is explicitly to express routing policy.  While RIPE
> is a major user of RPSL and one of the major contributors to RPSL,
> their use of it is limited in this way.

Exactly.  Operators in the RIPE region have, for some time now, expressed
a need for a database supporting expressing IPv6 routing policies (more
than anything else!).  It only recently got announced (as a test version,
I recall).  Which seems to strongly say that the RPSLng use has been
minimal at best, and there has been no real deployment.