Re: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

I agree.  We do need to re-examine mailing list ethics.  And until agressive tactics are in place, the foolishness will prevail.

"James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>

09/16/2003 11:32 AM

"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com>
cc
<pregen@egenconsulting.com>, <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject
Re: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

Thanx for the clarification.

After reading through this message, I realized it might sound a bit harsh,
but unfortunately, having suffered through this situation myself, where
someone managed to disrupt a mailing list for three months, I feel very much
in agreement with Fred Baker's comments in the plenary in Vienna: the IETF
tolerates conduct on its mailing lists that no other professional
organization would tolerate. I think we would do well to re-examine this
tendency, and not wait until people's behavior became completely outrageous
before ejecting them.

But that's a discussion for the problem list, so I'll leave it at that.

jak