Re: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

Sounds like time for me to download the RFC 2418 for some evening reading.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>

09/16/2003 11:30 AM

"James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
cc
<pregen@egenconsulting.com>, <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject
Re: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

Actually, RFC 2418 does not authorize a WG chair to remove
someone from an IETF mailing list.  As I was very surprised
to discover recently, RFC 2418 reserves this authority to the
responsible AD, with the approval of the IESG.

The applicable section of RFC 2418 says:

"As with face-to-face sessions occasionally one or more
individuals may engage in behavior on a mailing list
which disrupts the WG's progress. In these cases the Chair
should attempt to discourage the behavior by communication
directly with the offending individual rather than on the
open mailing list. If the behavior persists then the Chair
must involve the Area Director in the issue. As a last
resort and after explicit warnings, the Area Director, with
the approval of the IESG, may request that the mailing list
maintainer block the ability of the offending individual to
post to the mailing list. (If the mailing list software
permits this type of operation.) Even if this is done, the
individual must not be prevented from receiving messages
posted to the list. Other methods of mailing list control
may be considered but must be approved by the AD(s) and
the IESG."

Margaret