Re: Discuss comments on draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes

In message <5.1.0.14.2.20030918000512.03e434c0@mail.windriver.com>, Margaret Wa
sserman writes:

>I would feel more comfortable with this specification if the
>security consideration sections said that the client MUST
>NOT display any logo information, unless the certificate has
>been validated with the CA.
>
>In that case, I agree that the CA should be trusted to
>associate the right logo information (for some definition)
>with the certificate.
>
>But, displaying logos for unvalidated certificates along
>with a warning message only seems like a good way to distract
>users from taking the warning seriously.

Margaret, that's Certificate Processing 101 -- the whole purpose of a
certificate is to get third party verification of the information.
Now, there's debate in the security community about whether or not this
is a good idea in the first place -- Matt Blaze has been quoted as
saying that third party certificate authorities will protect you from
anyone from whom they won't take money -- but there's no debate
whatsoever on the need to verify the signature before using the
information.

Now -- what to do if the verification fails in some fashion is an
interesting question in human factors.  Often, the correct response is
to display *all* useful information from the certificate to help the
human decide what to do, since many verification failures result from
benign causes.  For example, for three straight years Microsoft let its
primary code-signing certificate expire in a certain sense, and
Microsoft's software properly objected to using it.  But the software
let me satisfy myself that it was a bureaucratic failure, not a
security one, so I went ahead and used it.  (I also got to tease my
friends at Microsoft Security, but that's another matter...)  Should
the software have displayed the logo to me during that process?

If you want an additional warning, I'm not going to object.  But it
should be worded something like this:

	As with all other fields in a certificate, logo information
	MUST NOT be used until the validity of the certificate has been
	successfully checked.