Re: Discuss comments on draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes

--On 18. september 2003 00:07 -0400 Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com> wrote:

I would feel more comfortable with this specification if the security consideration sections said that the client MUST NOT display any logo information, unless the certificate has been validated with the CA.

In that case, I agree that the CA should be trusted to
associate the right logo information (for some definition)
with the certificate.

But, displaying logos for unvalidated certificates along
with a warning message only seems like a good way to distract
users from taking the warning seriously.

I was thinking that since this is a graphics interface issue, appropriate warning messages might be a large red X placed across the face of the certificate picture, or a visual representation of a certificate graphic chopped into little pieces..... it is possible to make warning messages hard to overlook.

But that's "out of scope for the IETF".....