Re: Architectural question for the IAB

Okay with me....

At 11:41 AM 9/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
In line with our new procedures, I'd like to ask the IESG for
consensus on asking the IAB an architectural question related
to draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt, which has been sent
to the RFC editor for publication and referred to us for
review as an Informational RFC.  The draft raises an issue
related to protocol processing which seems to me fairly important,
which I would summarize as:  "What issues should be considered
when deciding when and how to apply validity checks for protocol
processing not conducted by the application applying the validity
check?"

To steal a concrete example, what might be the issues in an application
pre-checking the syntactical validity of a DNS name prior to passing it to
the DNS?

If I understand the next steps correctly, once the IESG has come to consensus
on the question, Harald would send the question to the IAB, along with a
description of what we expect in response.  I would expect two things in
response:  a review of the Klensin draft and a short document describing
the issues.  Note that this is not asking them to re-write the Klensin draft,
which explicitly does not take on this task:

  "this document takes no position on whether or
   not the testing is desirable.  It only identifies the correct tests
   to be made if tests are to be applied."

                                regards,
                                        Ted Hardie