Re: [Rps] Re: Last Call: 'RPSLng' to Proposed Standard

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309181408040.17750-100000@netcore.fi>, Pekka Savola
writes:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> > In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309162130570.24960-100000@netcore.fi>, Pekka Sav
> ola
> > writes:
> Savo
> > > la w

> > > I recall that RPSLng also supports ipv4.unicast (which is supported by
> > > RPSL as well), and ipv4.multicast.  The issue is clearly not settled by
> > > that, I think,
> >
> > As far as I can tell you have made no point which has withstood
> > strutiny.  If you think there is a problem, please state the problem
> > concisely.
>
> I'll just cut-n-paste my earlier response below.  There are certainly open
> issues on keeping IPv4 unicast and multicast data in sync.  Further, it
> might be desirable to have IPv4 unicast in the same database, so that you
> could just run the IRRToolSet (or some other tool) just once, from one
> database to get both v4 and v6 data, but this is a smaller point.

You seem not to be missing something.  The mp-* and non- mp-* entries
will be in the same database.  For backwards compatibility the ipv4
unicast policy will be in the same database but at least initially
expressed as non- mp-* policy statements.  Since policy is currently
quite different between unicase and multicase and ipv4 and ipv6 this
is not only not a problem, it is not even an inconvenience.  At some
later time the server software may be able to recognize older client
code and return non- mp-* entries converted from policy expressed as
mp-* entries.  At some time, probably even later, it is expected that
older clients will disappear.  At some point it may no longer be
practical to run an IPv4 only network and/or run a unicast only
network (though this seems not to be "on the horizon" at the moment)
and then all clients which did not understand the mp-* syntax would be
gone because they would all need that syntax to support IPv6.

So none of your objections below are valid.

Curtis