Re: More Comments on: draft-mrose-ietf-posting-03.txt

the distinction between "right" and "privillege" was discussed on the POISED list while this document was being debated there.

If you have archives handy, the thread started with Jim Galvin on April 25, title "right or privilege?".

Marshall's comment:

jim - this is a distinction without a difference, because you're
assuming that "rights" are absolute. that's not true, it depends on
context.

for example: walk down the street to the county courthouse, sit down in
a court room when a trial is going on, try to exercise your first
amendment right to free speech. be sure to have an attorney on retainer...

alternatively, ask how many felons get to exercise their right to vote.

i'm sure that constitutional experts may be able to count the angels
dancing on the head of this pin, but i don't think it's helpful to us.

for myself, i prefer to think of posting as a "right", because it's a
fundamental part of what we do...

And from John Leslie:

   The word "privilege" comes from "privus" "lex", meaning private law.
Any privilege requires action by some body, usually on a regular basis,
to institute and maintain the "privilege".

I'm pretty sure we don't want to go there...

   (If we're scared the word "right" may give the wrong connotations,
please state what wrong connotations you're worried about, and we can
work on that. However, the word "privilege" is a very poor substitute,
IMHO.)

There were two more comments on the thread, neither arguing strongly for a change.
So I guess the public debate result is "topic has been visited, and no need for change was found".

Harald