RE: IETF Country Codes

"copyright on the use" is a funny phrase. Aren't copyrights supposed to be
on copying and patents on "use"? :-)

Anyway, the country code list is all over the Internet on a zillion web
pages and has been for many years. The correspondence
that has been posted with ISO indicates they have no problem with this
or any non-profit use. They are saying they may impose royalties
on incorporation of the standard, which right now seems to mean more than
just the codes, into for-profit products. For example, there
is this message saying that the royalty would apply if the vendor
incorporated the standard into their product but not if they instructed
uses to download and insert it! (See for example
http://www.ncits.org/archive/2003/in030463/in030463.htm)

My draft would certainly be improved by the insertion of the usual IETF
IPR disclaimer boilerplate. If my draft is a derivative work, it is
non-profit and seems to be in an area where ISO has given permission for
copying and said it would not apply royalties, assuming it is legally
entitled to.

Part of the idea of the draft is to freeze things so they can't get worse.
I don't think ISO could get away with revoking the permissions it has
issued so far on the standard to date but could impose arbitrary restrictions
on versions with future changes in them. (Just like the random people that own
the Dewey Decimal system succeed in extracting royalties to use the up-to-date
augmented version even though copyright long ago expired on earlier versions.)
Since future changes to the IETF Country Codes would be through IETF
mechanisms, they would not be affected by ISO restrictions on its future
changes to its two-letter country code list.

Donald