Re: Last Call: 'XMPP Core' to Proposed Standard

As document editor, I have several Last Call comments regarding
oversights in this memo.

1. Working Group consensus was achieved regarding inclusion of
   the 'xml:lang' attribute on the root <stream/> element (see
   [1] and follow-up messages) in order to meet the requirements
   of our charter with regard to internationalization; however,
   I neglected to add the appropriate text to the document.
   Therefore I propose that the following text be added to
   Section 4.2 (Stream Attributes) of this memo:

      o  xml:lang -- An 'xml:lang' attribute (as defined in
      Section 2.12 of the XML specification [1]) SHOULD be
      included to specify the default language of any XML
      character data sent over the stream.  The language
      specified for the stream MAY be overridden by the
      'xml:lang' attribute of a specific XML stanza or a
      child element thereof (see xml:lang (Section 8.1.5)).
      The value of the attribute MUST be an NMTOKEN and
      MUST conform to the format defined in RFC 3066 [15].
      If no 'xml:lang' value is provided for the stream,
      an implementation MUST assume that the language is
      "en-US".

2. Two of the old HTTP-style error codes defined as late as
   draft-ietf-xmpp-core-04 [2] do not have XMPP equivalents.
   Since our charter specifies that we shall adapt the older
   protocol-in-use in a backwards-compatible way if possible,
   it seems appropriate to define XMPP equivalents for the old
   error codes, and the fact that these error conditions have
   not been included is an oversight by the document editor.
   Therefore I propose that we add the following additional
   XMPP stanza error conditions to Section 8.3.3 (Defined
   Conditions) of this memo:

   - <not-acceptable/> (maps to old "406" code)
   - <redirect/> (maps to old "302" code)

Thanks.

Peter

[1] http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/xmppwg/2002-October/000183.html