ops dir review of draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-07.txt !!!

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: ops directorate <ops-dir@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-07.txt [Re: Agenda and Package for
 October 2, 2003 Telechat]
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:47:44 +0300 (EEST)

First time I looked into the Nomcom rules, so watch out..

>       o draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-07.txt
> 	IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of
> 	the Nominating and Recall Committees (BCP) - 8 of 9
> 	Token: Harald Alvestrand

       Third, the confirming body has two weeks from the day it is
       notified of a candidate to reject the candidate, otherwise the
       candidate is assumed to have been confirmed.

==> in these days of non-guaranteed email delivery, automatic spam
filters and /dev/nulling mails, wouldn't it make much more sense to *not*
to make any assumptions about this one way or the other -- just state that
a confirmation/rejection must be transmitted (for as many times as
required :-)? ... or are the confirming bodies really so lazy that they
can't bother to send an email on time, despite harassments etc.

   5.   The Internet Society President appoints the Chair, who must meet
        the same requirements for membership in the nominating committee
        as a voting volunteer.

==> as I read it, the ISOC president could order anyone at all, with the
required qualifications, to serve as the NomCom Chair.  No questions asked
whether one is willing, capable, or not?  Is this the intended policy?
At least you can say no if someone nominates you for IESG/IAB...  :-)

   9.   The Internet Society Board of Trustees may appoint a liaison to
        the nominating committee.

   10.  An advisor is responsible for such duties as specified by the
        invitation that resulted in the appointment.

        Advisors do not vote on the selection of candidates.

==> the second paragraph of 10. is redundant.  It has already been stated,
but if you really want to repeat those again, you should put them in all
the places, like in section 9 above..

        No more than two volunteers with the same primary affiliation
        may be selected for the nominating committee.

==> I'd say the correct number is one.  This is because there are such
large corporations out there that the random selection could easily give
2-3 of them 2 members each, causing a majority as is.  What we should have
is getting the comittee spread throughout more evenly.

But I can also agree to 2 members, it's not too much (and more often than
not, those big companies have conflicting interests :-).. personally I'd
prefer fewer though.

7. Member Recall

==> is it intentional that the hypothetical recall process could last the
same about 7 months as the nomcom process?  how useful would such a
process be to the IETF community, I wonder?  More than that, if recalling
a really misbehaving member would take 7 months, couldn't he already have
done a significant amount of harm?

I don't have any suggestions to offer here, of course.. just pointing out
some problems with the process..

editorials

   This document is a revision of and supercedes RFC2727. [2] It is a

==> s/supercedes/Obsoletes/ ?  That isn't explicitly stated anywhere.
Could be in the appendix too.

   predecessor: RFC2727. [2]

       position being filled by the nominating committe.

==> /te/tee/

       The selection process must be completed at least two month's