From: Wasserman Margaret (NRC/Boston)
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:03 AM
To: 'ext Vern Paxson'
Subject: RE: FW: HIP BOF Heads-up

Hi Vern,

> > In particular, the objective of this working group is to complete
> > the DNS, mobility, multi-homing, and NAT traversal work on HIP,
> > and produce Experimental RFCs for these.
>
> Is a potential outcome of the BOF that this work would make
> more sense as an IRTF effort?  I wonder when WG targets are almost
> all Experimental.

I had the same thought initially...

However, Thomas (rightly, I think) pointed out that there are
working implemenations of HIP, and that the HIP group considers
this to be engineering, not research.  Engineering also commonly
involves some level of prototyping/experimentation, and I think
that's the sense in which the HIP folks would like to publish
these documents as experimental.

Margaret