RE: Removing features

Hi Fred,

> So in the general case I don't see a problem with deprecating
> things under the right circumstances, but I do have a problem with
> removing them outright. Deprecation doesn't prevent people from using
> them, but outright removal can be dangerous. And in this case, the
> assertion that one can still use the address prefix in a local manner
> is simply incorrect; it can be assigned at the whim of IANA, and
> network administrations need to plan accordingly.

Actually, we are being very careful about this in the deprecation
of IPv6 site-local addressing.  Christian Huitema and Brian Carpenter
have co-authored a very carefully written deprecation document that
makes it clear how these addresses should be treated to avoid problems
with existing site-local implementations.  And, we are planning to
instruct IANA not to return these addresses to the regular allocation
pool.

Margaret