>From garyfishman@lucent.com  Tue Oct 14 15:30:08 2003
From: "Fishman, Gary (Gary)" <garyfishman@lucent.com>
To: "'sob@harvard.edu'" <sob@harvard.edu>
Subject: TSAG and IETF
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:30:01 -0400

Scott,

Time marches on and it is almost going to pass us by.  We were going to do something for the next TSAG meeting on how IETF and ITU-T could develop a single document that both agree to as a standard/Recommendation.  Given the lack of attention on working out a detailed procedure, and my aversion to detailed procedures unless really, really necessary - can I propose the following:

 - we submit a contribution to TSAG reaffirming the desire to permit creation of a single-document that is approved by both bodies
 - we propose that detailed procedures at this point in time is premature and that a practical example be used to gain some experience first
 - the Cooperation and Coordination Group of TSAG identify candidate subject(s) to try out a cooperative process, in conjunction with the ITU-T SG chairmen at TSAG
 - first option for a process is where the work is done in one of the groups, with cooperation and direct involvement of people from the other group
   (I think this could include ping-ponging a document between the groups when necessary, joint meetings when/if convenient, sending of liaison reps to each other's groups, ...)
 - IETF and ITU-T management to create a Single Document Coordinating Committee (SDCC?  We could come up with a sexier name) of about half-dozen people, such as reps from the IETF WG, from the relevant IETF management body, IETF editor group, ITU-T SG, TSAG, TSB.  The role of this group would be to address procedural issues as they come up, not to address technical issues.
- report to meetings of IESG (would that be the right group?) and TSAG on progress and/or issues for resolution.

What do you think?  TSAG meets on 10-14 November, by the way.

Hope all is well.

Gary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
there is a misunderstaning

we (Fishman & I) both know the megaco case very well and
have no intention to repeate it

I expect the outcome of any effort of this type would be
a clearer way to discuss overlapping work to come up with
one of three ways forward

	IETF hold pen - interested ITU people work in IETF WG
		this is how internet fax happened
	ITU hold pen - interested IETF people work in ITU SG
		I don't't have example of this - MPLS OAM not quite
		an example
	we both do our own thing
		SIP vs H.323

Fishman nor I think that there is an option for a joint WG
which is what megaco was

no problem with sending it to the iesg/iab but I'd like to
be in teh dicusssion loop  (can forward this note also)

--- End Message ---