FW: NEMO IPR

Hi All,

There are some IPR issues brewing in the NEMO WG that I thought
you might want to be aware of (if you are not already).  I
also have some questions and could use some advice about this
issue.

I'm forwarding some information from the NEMO chairs, including
two attachments:  (1) an excerpt from the NEMO minutes from
IETF57, and (2) a letter that the NEMO chairs sent to Cisco
legal contact (please forgive any odd formatting -- the original
was an MS-Word file, and I have sent HTML).

To summarize, both Cisco and Nokia have stated that they have
IPR claims related to NEMO.  Nokia has provided licensing terms
that include royalty-free use in open source (sort of), and Cisco
has reportedly promised RAND terms across the board, although I
can't find a statement to support that.

The WG would like Cisco to offer RF terms for open source and/or
clarify what parts of the technology is encumbered.  So, the
chairs wrote a letter to Cisco's legal contact (attached).

I have a few questions, and could probably use some advice
in this area:

	- Have other WGs had specifications for which multiple
		companies had, perhaps competing, IPR claims?
		Are there any issues to be aware of in this
		situation?

	- When a company agrees "not to assert claims" against
		anyone who implements this techology in open
		source, how does that apply to companies that
		use that open source in commercial products?

	- The Nokia IPR statement doesn't say anything about
		licensing terms for non-open source use.  Is
		that okay?

Any other general advice to offer about what I and/or the
WG chairs should or shouldn't do in this situation?

Margaret