Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ipsec-dpd - A Traffic-Based Method of Detecting Dead IKE Peers

In message <E1A4hGp-0005VK-GE@asgard.ietf.org>, IESG Secretary writes:
>--------
>
>Last Call to expire on: 2003-09-28
>
>        Please return the full line with your position.
>
>                      Yes  No-Objection  Discuss  Abstain
>Steve Bellovin       [   ]     [ X ]     [   ]     [   ]

This is very close to a DISCUSS...

As I understand the situation, the document describes current practice,
rather than defining new protocol elements.  This is not clear in the
text of the document.  (It also uses numbers from the private range,
which would be exceedingly bad for a standards-track protocol.)  The
fourth paragraph of the Introduction, which begins "To this end",
should start something like this:

	To this end, a number of vendors have implemented their own
	approach to dead peer detection.  This document describes how
	they detect peer liveliness without needing ...

The abstract (and perhaps the title) should probably have similar changes.