Re: Notes from a visit to the Commission

--On 20. oktober 2003 14:43 +0100 Mark Handley <M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

There's a problem with network research in Europe, which is that
there's really not that much happening beyond the people already
signed up for IPv6 pilots.

imiho, there is a very serious problem in that a lot of euro and asian 'research' seems to be defined as things such as ipv6 pilots and unix hacking instead of computer and networking *science*. not to say this problem is not also found in north america.

I agree completely. A huge amount of money is thrown into large projects with many partners, many of whom are playing a "me too" game. Often partners are included for political reasons. This tends to be self-fulfilling - many of these partners aren't sufficiently close to the leading edge to do anything other than piloting activities, so many researchers learn to believe that this is actually what research should be like.

the interesting parts of this conversation were, to me, the Commission's recognition that it was suffering exactly this type of failure, and that it was trying to roll out programs with different characteristics. They were also keen to point out that many of the "areas" defined in their calls for proposals were broad enough to fit almost anything - including stuff that is seriously imaginative, groundbreaking or otherwise radical.

I don't know how to help that along, though.

(of course, neither do I want to encourage badly thought out "blue sky" stuff like the more out-of-touch variants of the "ant-based routing" and "intelligent networks" ideas. Balance in all things....)

Harald