Re: Some notes on mailman lists

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Danny McPherson wrote:

> On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 07:44 PM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> > - You can choose to send nonsubscriber mail to the moderator, or to
> > send it to the list. The flag is called "Restrict posting privilege to
> > list members", and you set it under "Privacy Options".
>
> We've been doing this few a couple of years now.  Though it's
> a pain sifting through the crude it's kept our list pretty much
> spam free.
>
> One thing to note is that you'll probably need to explicitly
> permit messages from IESG, IAB, rfc-editor, your ADs, etc..
> For example, here's what pwe3's exception post list currently
> looks like:
>
> internet-drafts@ietf.org
> rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
> iesg-secretary@ietf.org
> chair@ietf.org
> nsyracus@cnri.reston.va.us
> sob@harvard.edu
> mankin@isi.edu
>
> Plus a few miscellaneous lurkers that primarily employ archives
> rather than subscribing.

Actually, Mailman provides a mechansim that can be used by people who want
to post from a different address, or who use archives rather than
receiving mail directly.  If you set the "nomail" flag on a subscriber
(under "Membership Management"), they will continue to be allowed to post,
but will not actually receive any messages.  This is particularly useful
because subscribers can set it themselves on the "Edit Options" page.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer