Re: Internal WG Review: Access Link Intermediaries Assisting Services (alias)

James Kempf wrote:
> > Description of Working Group:
> > Several types of physical links increasingly used for Internet
> > connectivity today possess undesirable characteristics, such as high
> > loss, high delay, and low reliability. Dial-up telephone lines and radio
> > links in wireless networks (e.g., 3G, GPRS, GSM, IS-95, IEEE 802.11 and
> > satellite) are examples of such links, whose presence results in
>
> I hate to sound nit-picky, but 3G is not a link type, GPRS includes both
> last hop links and proprietary access network, and IEEE 802.11 doesn't have
> a performance problem in general though there are some specific instances
> where it can suffer from problems involving performance loss due to distance
> from the access point. I'd suggest either making this list be link specific,
> like wCDMA, GSM, IS-95, IS-2000, or general, like GRPS and cdma2000 RAN.

The examples in the parentheses are meant for the types of wireless
networks, not of radio links. This said I accept your point and will
change the relevant text along the RAN suggestion. Regarding IEEE
802.11, another situation where performance could be a problem is the
presence of high radio frequency interference in the unlicensed 2.4 GHz
band used by 802.11b. But it's arguable if PEPs are viable means for
mitigating the problem in such a situation.

Many thanks for the comment.

Hui-Lan Lu