Re: a personal plea regarding powerpoint presentations in Minneapolis

> could I ask you to send this pointer also to the edu-team and/or the
> edu-discuss list (both hosted @ietf.org?) - since the EDU team is
> collecting resources for helping IETF participants function better, this
> should be valuable input for them.

will do.

> It's been claimed repeatedly, and from people with multiple linguistic
> backgrounds, that having text on the screen - ESPECIALLY if it summarizes
> well what is being said - is a Good Thing for those whose first language is
> not English. Just making "supporting pictures" can hinder comprehension -
> especially if the speaker is one of those whose natural delivery is quite
> rapid, or if the speaker is a non-native English speaker. (Most non-native
> English speakers find other language groups' variations of English harder
> to follow than "native English").

That's an interesting point, and one I'm not really qualified to
evaluate.  But as much as I think it important to accomodate non-native
English speakers (and especially to get their input), I have to wonder which
is more important - to facilitate discussion among those who have the
background and the language skills (realizing that this can exclude
valuable input), or to make one-way presentations which everyone can follow?
I'm not sure we can have it both ways.

Though it might be that making that material available in another form - say
as PDF files that can be printed out prior to the meeting - would give both
native and non-native speakers a chance to assimilate the nature of the
discussion, and allow them to prepare questions or other input to be brought
to the meeting.

Keith