RE: FW: Application for port-number (system-klensin)

Normally, we push people back after they submit an application
for a system port number and tell them they need to put
System port number XXX - TBA by IANA in their document.  Once
it goes through the process, we assign the system port number.

I mentioned this to John Klensin and there was an urge to have
the port earlier.  The only way I know of doing this is getting
IESG approval.

We use "expert" review for user port numbers.  Our experts are
our internal staff, and sometimes we use Fred Baker in cases we
need help on.

There has always been some confusion within the system vs. user
port number allocation procedures.  That is why I think a new
document would be helpful.  We have had some folks volunteer to
help us when we can have the time to get to it.

Michelle