Re: [Gen] Thinking about adding a new person to the IESG

Harald,

Just a couple of thoughts...

(1) When we have two ADs in an area who don't work together
well, the problem is usually partially resolved by splitting up
WGs and then trying to ignore each other.  It doesn't stop it
from being a problem, as many of the cross-calibration and
cross-coverage advantages of two AD areas (versus completely
separate areas) are lost.  If the person in this function and
the Chair don't work _really_ well together, it could be a
disaster, especially if the "General Area" was down to zero WGs
and it was clear to everyone that this person was deputy chair.
I suspect that problem can be avoided by a very careful
conversation with the Nomcom the first time but, after that, if
the position is to exist, I think we need to think about another
selection mechanism to avoid problems.  One such selection
mechanism is that the IETF (IESG?) Chair actually selects this
person, subject to the advice and consent of the Nomcom and with
term at the IETF Chair's pleasure.   Of course, that would
eliminate the advantages of staggered terms, but you see where
I'm going here.

Obviously, if we intend this to evolve into "Chair-Elect", we
would need a different selection model.  But "Chair Elect"
suggests that it could take at least four years for the Nomcom
to solve a problem, not the current minimum of two.

(2) There have been, from time to time, serious gaps in
communications between the IETF Chair and IAB Chair, especially
when the former starts feeling a lot of time pressure over
particular situations and concludes (explicitly or not) that
temporarily taking on an imperial role is desirable.   To some
extent, reducing the workload on the IETF Chair may reduce this
problem, but the new position would also give him or her someone
else to talk with.   How do you see preventing the IESG-IAB
communications disconnects becoming worse with this setup, or do
we just have to rely on the good will and attention to detail(s)
of the people involved?

     john

--On Friday, October 31, 2003 23:21 -0800 Harald Tveit