RE: [Gen] Thinking about adding a new person to the IESG

Hi John,

The same argument could be used to state that the nomcom should
pick only one AD in each area, and the second AD could be chosen
by the nomcom-selected AD, but we haven't chosen to go that way.
Why?

IMO, it would be a mistake to select our ADs that way, because
each AD should be accountable directly to the community, not to
another AD.  I know that the nomcom isn't (by a long shot) a
perfect selection mechanism, but it is the only means we have
to select a person who is directly accountable to the community.
And, I think that our top-level positions should be.

If you are concerned about opening a new position, then there are
some alternatives in this case:  (1) The IESG could agree that one
of its current members will serve as the second General AD (like
the Sub-IP area was handled), (2) Harald could involve different
members of the existing leadership (IESG and/or IAB members) in
the activities in which we need continuity and/or more resources, (3)
Harald could prioritize his work and delegate his less critical
activities to other parties (give more work to the gen-dir, start
more teams like EDU, ask other ADs or IAB members to run certain
things, delegate tasks to folks outside the current management
structure, just stop doing some things, etc.).

Given that Harald may step down in a year though, I believe that
he does need to make a specific plan to achieve continuity
for any of his activities that are likely to span across that gap.

Would you find one of the other choices that I presented above
preferrable to opening another position?

Margaret