draft-klensin-name-munging and well-known port request

Hi.

Folks, I thought a bit more explanation on this might be helpful.

I wrote that proposal on the assumption that it would be useful for some marginal internationalization applications, people building apps as scripts, and transitions of existing apps to IDNA by patching. On that basis, I figured I'd get some comments in Minneapolis, ask for a user port, make another pass on the document, and try to publish the thing as an experimental RFC. It turns out that it got immediate traction. I've got one full implementation in hand in addition to my hacking around, and offers of two others. I've also got offers of high-capacity servers to run the thing on a "public good" basis.

I suspect that should help remind all of us about the advantages of really simple protocols.

The thing also apparently has some real potential as a plugin killer as the best path to internationalization of domain names -- something that all of us should consider desirable if we take IDN seriously.

If it is to be significantly used, "one port now, another later" is seriously undesirable. And the advantages of a well-known/ system port for an application protocol that provides a support function should be obvious if the distinction is worth anything at all.

With regard to the "what if it changes" question, my hope and expectation is to keep it very simple. It is simple enough today that the issues that might arise with some protocol that takes 20 (or 50) pages of text to describe should not apply here. However, if the IESG remains concerned about the issue, I suggest that we modify the thing, right now, to include a version number parameter (probably as the first one) that would avoid needing to assign a second port if there are changes.

Extended debate about this will hold up a bit of internationalization work, and momentum, which exists right now. I hope that can be avoided.

thanks and regards,
     john