Re: spam from upperside.fr

I could cop out in the particular case and say Upperside is different because Peter Lewis has registered as a list member. However, I feel your general point does need to be addressed. I have criteria in my own mind that distinguish acceptable from unacceptable spam. I'm willing to state them, but you've made me realize that I did not check them out with my list membership. The concern is not so much with the ones I let through -- list members can see those and complain about my decisions if they are so inclined. What they can't see are the ones I've blocked. Fortunately the issue arises only once or twice a year, so I'm not too worried. The questionable ones I've discarded IIRC are repetitions of those I let through.

My criteria? The topic has to relate to some aspect of VoIP, since that is what Megaco is about. The organization has to be reasonably non-commercial, and definitely not vendor-specific. And I only allow one posting of a given message.

As for the Upperside postings, one can use the administrative interface to moderate postings by individual members. I believe one would have to get consent first from the list and then from the IESG, for the criteria used to filter the messages.

Michael Sneed wrote:

I think item 6) pretty much obviates the need for a response or its retention as far as most spam is concerned. Almost all of the spam we get is obviously not topical. What is interesting about this case is that some people seem to be willing to tolerate it, and therefore rejecting it does require some thought.

This is surprising to me, and I only posed the question to determine the extent of the problem. If we are willing to tolerate "good spam", should we also permit postings advertising printer cartridges, since most of us use those occasionally as well? Or maybe only posters advertising "high quality" printer cartridges. Does rejecting such postings require WG consent?

Regards,

Mike