From: Tom Taylor <taylor@nortelnetworks.com>
CC: Michael Sneed <sneedmike@hotmail.com>, wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: spam from upperside.fr
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:35:16 -0500

This link reminds of one aspect of the process where postings from non-members to Megaco became moderated: it was done with the consent of the members of the list. Similarly, if you have had no complaints about Upperside but feel they are a nuisance, you should consult with your list on whether they think postings from Peter Lewis should be moderated.

There was one point in the list of guidelines that worries me: the requirement that copies of rejected postings be retained for a reasonable period. Maybe this comes under the "obvious irrelevance" exception, but when I go through the Megaco list of postings from outsiders, I use the Mailman web interface. I tick off the ones to be deleted (most of them) and as far as I know, they disappear. Does Mailman hang on to them at all, or should we screen-scrape any postings we are rejecting/deleting that seem like they may be controversial?

Tom Taylor

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <BAY10-F6hGYeUOMfp2N0004d507@hotmail.com>, "Michael Sneed" writes:

The adslmib list has been getting spammed recently by a "list member". This member is subscribed with the "nomail" flag set, and generally posts advertisements for conferences via "upperside.fr".

We are apparently not the only recipients of these "gifts". Has anyone else had a problem with these guys? I have warned him, but it hasn't helped.

See http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/moderated-lists.txt

You can also ask your AD to ask the IESG to ban the list member.

Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup